|Description||Indian vegetarian spinach and cheese curry|
|Difficulty||Easy to moderate|
|Source||Peter C. Maxwell, Department of Computer Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, AUSTRALIA.|
|Time to prepare||Unspecified|
|Time to cook||1 hour|
|No. of servings||4-6|
|Ingredients||1 1/2 lbs fresh spinach
1/2 lb fresh ricotta cheese (see note)
3 medium brown onions
1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, chopped fine
1 medium tomato
1 1/2 tsp cummin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chile powder (cayenne) (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp ghee (or use melted butter or oil)
salt (to taste)
|Instructions||(1) Cook the spinach and chop it up.
(2) Cut the cheese into 3/4-inch cubes and deep fry a few pieces at a time in oil (a wok is good for this).
(3) Fry the chopped onions in the ghee. When almost brown, add the finely-chopped ginger. Use a medium to high heat.
(4) When the onions are golden, reduce the heat and add the skinned and chopped tomato, then the spices and salt.
(5) Cover for a few minutes, then add the spinach and salt
(6) Cover and simmer about 5 minutes to let spices penetrate.
(7) Add the cheese pieces, mix, and serve.
|Notes|| We eat this dish as a meal with rice, although you can use it as one dish along with others. The quantities given for the spinach and cheese are very flexible. I never measure them, just putting in what seems right. Experiment. Similarly, it can be kept hot for a while with no loss in taste or texture.
In North America, most Ricotta cheese is packed as a pot cheese. This recipe calls for a more solid form of the cheese. Specialty ethnic markets in large cities will carry solid Ricotta. You can make your own by buying a tub of pot Ricotta and wrapping it in a clean cloth to wick the moisture out, leaving the whole assembly in the refrigerator for a week or so, and changing the cloth every day. With such treatment the cheese will gradually solidify enough that you can slice and fry it. Buffalo-milk Mozzarella is a fair substitute, and ordinary Mozzarella is a last-chance substi- tute.
Dont fry the cheese too long. It should have a golden
exterior and have a marshmallow texture inside. Frying too long makes it hard and dry. Use whole cummin seeds and cloves, not the ground variety.
|[ Home |