|Difficulty||Piece of cake|
|Time to prepare||30 mins|
|Time to cook||20 mins|
|No. of servings||2-3|
|Ingredients||* 8 tablespoons vegtable oil:
Salt as desired:
* 1 tablespoon of haldi powder (turmeric):
* 1 small lemon juiced:
* Three quaters (3/4) tablespoon garam masala:
* 1 tablespoon jeera powder:
* 1 tablespoon corrinder powder:
* 1 tablespoon red chilly powder:
* Handful of chooped corriender leaves:
* Freshly grated coconut, 2 medium cups:
* Finely chopped onoins (red, 2 medium cups:
* Deseed and chop / dice karelas, 2.5 medium cups.
* Smear salt and haldi on the deseeded and chopped karelas and keep aside for half an hour.
* Squeeze the juices out of the karelas
(throw away the juices from the karelas)
* Shallow fry the karelas with only half of the oil(4 tablespoons)until golden brown. Remove from the pan.
* Add the grated coconut to the karelas together with the chopped onions, corriender leaves, masala powder, lemon juice, little sugar.
* Add the remaining oil (4 tablespoons)to the pan and when the oil gets hot add the karela mixture and fry.
* Heat moderately until the karelas turn a dark brown colour.
The karela subji is ready to serve with light roti, made from the brand called
|Notes||Karelas are available in all Indian owned markets/shops and some chinese.
The western name is
|[ Home |